RE: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.

From: "Amonson, Paul D" <paul(dot)d(dot)amonson(at)intel(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Shankaran, Akash" <akash(dot)shankaran(at)intel(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.
Date: 2024-06-18 17:14:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm, I wonder if the "(c) 2024 Intel" line is going to bring us trouble.
> (I bet it's not really necessary anyway.)

Our lawyer agrees, copyright is covered by the "PostgreSQL Global Development Group" copyright line as a contributor.

> And this bit doesn't look good. The LICENSE file says:
> > // * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
> > // copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
> > disclaimer // in the documentation and/or other materials provided
> > with the // distribution.
> The second clause essentially says we would have to add a page to our
> "documentation and/or other materials" with the contents of the license file.

According to one of Intel’s lawyers, 55 instances of this clause was found when they searched in the PostgreSQL repository. Therefore, I assume that this obligation has either been satisfied or determined not to apply, given that the second BSD clause already appears in the PostgreSQL source tree. I might have misunderstood the concern, but the lawyer believes this is a non-issue. Could you please provide more clarifying details about the concern?

Thanks,
Paul

Attachment Content-Type Size
0002-v4-Fix-Copyright-and-Licensing-issues.patch application/octet-stream 7.6 KB
0001-v4-Feat-Add-AVX512-crc32c-algorithm-to-postgres.patch application/octet-stream 42.7 KB