Re: help tuning queries on large database

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "peter royal" <peter(dot)royal(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: help tuning queries on large database
Date: 2006-01-09 21:29:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Peter,

On 1/9/06 12:59 PM, "peter royal" <peter(dot)royal(at)pobox(dot)com> wrote:

> Overall, I got a 50% boost in the overall speed of my test suite by
> using XFS and the 16k read-ahead.

Yes, it all looks pretty good for your config, though it looks like you
might be adapter limited with the Areca - you should have seen a read time
with XFS of about 17 seconds.

OTOH - with RAID5, you are probably about balanced, you should see a read
time of about 19 seconds and instead you'll get your 22 which isn't too big
of a deal.

> Thanks for the help!

Sure - no problem!

BTW - I'm running tests right now with the 3Ware 9550SX controllers. Two of
them on one machine running simultaneously with 16 drives and we're getting
800MB/s sustained read times. That's a 32GB file read in 40 seconds (!!)

At that rate, we're only about 3x slower than memory access (practically
limited at around 2GB/s even though the system bus peak is 10GB/s). So, the
point is, if you want to get close to your "warm" speed, you need to get
your disk I/O as close to main memory speed as you can. With parallel I/O
you can do that (see Bizgres MPP for more).

- Luke