Re: Best way to manage users

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Kevin Crenshaw <kcrenshaw(at)viscient(dot)com>, <brew(at)theMode(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best way to manage users
Date: 2006-01-04 17:36:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 1/4/06 12:20 PM, "Kevin Crenshaw" <kcrenshaw(at)viscient(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the advice. However, I think that a
> better way to pose my question is to ask - what are the pros and cons of
> using Postgres to handle user authentication for my web app?

Postgres will not do your user authentication for you. It WILL store your
user information. As for storing a table of usernames/passwords (that is
all that authentication requires, at least for basic auth), even a text file
will do. However, if you are talking about money and accounting where data
integrity is important, then an ACID compliant database seems a good way to
go. Postgres is one (of several) such database.

So, for storing user accounts, etc., postgres is fine. But that is quite a
different (but related) question than user authentication for a web app. If
you haven't done authentication via VB.NET before, I suggest you make the
simplest case first and then decide if postgres will suit your needs.

Sean