Re: Deadlock Detected (revisited)

From: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deadlock Detected (revisited)
Date: 2005-11-26 03:29:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/25/05 9:12 PM, "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> wrote:

> The latter, the row locks before were single owner and were such that a
> second lock request for the same row would wait for the first to be
> released. Now effectively you have two levels of locks at the row level,
> the weaker of which conflicts with the stronger but not with itself.

Now I understand. Thanks for clarifying.

It sounds like there may be some performance improvements that will be
beneficial to us also. Hopefully I can convince them to agree to the 8.1
upgrade. Besides verifying our application, it takes a full weekend to do
the dump/load - the database is just under a billion rows.

Wes