Strange UTF8 issue with pg_dump/pg_restore

From: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com>
To: "pgsql admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Strange UTF8 issue with pg_dump/pg_restore
Date: 2006-08-08 02:08:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a database whose records are inserted via ODBC.
I turned on logging, and the client is explicitly setting the client
encoding to UTF.

Rows are inserted into the tables. When I do a pg_dump, I do not get
any errors. When I try tor restore, I am getting an error regarding an
invalid UTF-8 character sequence.
Of course, this renders compressed backups useless, since I have no way
of manually fixing the file. The process of fixing the file is, of
course, painful.

Is this a known issue? I am running PG 8.1.4. The problem happened on
PG Windows.
Tomorrow I will try to see if the problem exists in the FreeBSD compile.
If I get it to reproduce, I will be able to send some data dumps, but
will need to know who to send it to.

Regards,

Benjamin