Rules vs Triggers

From: Randall Perry <rgp(at)systame(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Rules vs Triggers
Date: 2005-07-26 21:53:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Read the Rules section of the manual and the section on Rules vs Triggers.

From what I get triggers are necessary for column constraints. As far as
speed, it seems there are some differences between how fast rules/triggers
would do the same action, but that some complex analysis is involved to
determine this. And I gathered rules are necessary to allow
update/insert/delete actions on views.

Can anyone give me some simple reasons why they choose rules over triggers
in their real-world dbs?

--
Randall Perry
sysTame