Distinguishing between connections in pg_hba.conf

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sgul(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Distinguishing between connections in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2005-05-16 12:35:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a web application (PHP) which runs on its own box, and connects to a
database on a second box. The database box is behind the firewall and only
accepts connections from the web server.

I have set up stunnel on the web server and I would like to allow some
limited external direct access to the db server, but I would like
connections from stunnel to only access a specific database. The problem is
that both the web server and the stunnel connections will come from the same
box, and hence the same IP address, is there anyway I can distinguish
between these two connection methods in pg_hba.conf? (I can't do it on
username either)

Thanks for any advice

Adam

believed to be clean.