Re: Problems with initdb

From: Kim Kohen <kim(at)webguide(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, postgres novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with initdb
Date: 2005-04-05 07:21:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

G'day Tom

Thanks for the reply

> If initdb fails on this, then either you don't have shared memory
> support in your kernel at all, or the limits are so small that Postgres
> can't usefully run under them. Putting in a config file wouldn't help.
> What platform are you on exactly, and what exactly is the failure
> message? Also, what PG version are we talking about?
€€€€
I'm installing on Mac OSX (10.3.8 - 1,5gig ram) and the exact error message
is:

creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... FATAL:
could not create shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory
DETAIL: Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1122304, 03600).
HINT: This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space. To reduce the
request size (currently 1122304 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's shared_buffers
parameter (currently 50) and/or its max_connections parameter (currently
10).

I know Postgres can be run on this machine (I downloaded a binary a couple
of weeks ago and it's been running fine) but I need full text indexing and
want to try tsearch2. From what I can find, the only way I can do this is to
compile from source, hence my predicament. I'm open to suggestions of how I
can use tsearch2 with the existing install but I must say that I'm not
averse to learning how to compile things - I figure it can't be a bad thing
to know.

Cheers and thanks again

Kim