Re: Indexed leading substring searches - worked, now

From: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgresql-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexed leading substring searches - worked, now
Date: 2005-02-03 22:14:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2/3/05 2:29 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> You could use the alternative operator classes for pattern searches, but
> if you want the same indexes to also serve for normal text sorting,
> C locale is the better bet.

As an interim solution until I can reload the database (takes a weekend),
can I define two indexes on the same field, one using operator classes and
one not (and have them automatically used as appropriate)?

Because of the time involved, I'm trying to hold off on another reload until
we upgrade to 8.x.

Wes