Mass Import/Generate PKs

From: Hunter Hillegas <lists(at)lastonepicked(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Mass Import/Generate PKs
Date: 2004-11-06 20:00:53
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a CSV file with 400,000 lines of email mailing list information that
I need to migrate to a new PostgreSQL database.

Each line has all the info I need except a PK (I usually use an int4 column
for a PK).

If the file were smaller I would probably just use Excel to pop in a PK and
then just load into the table...

Since Excel chokes on files greater than 65k lines, this won't work.

Is there a way to get this done inside psql for instance? Or another route?

Thanks,
Hunter