Vacuuming generates huge WALs

From: Murthy Nunna <mnunna(at)fnal(dot)gov>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Vacuuming generates huge WALs
Date: 2014-02-13 19:29:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All,

I am running version 9.2.4 and my database is configured for replication. My database is about 1.5TB.

Our manual vacuum process runs for about 5 hours and during this time there is lot of WAL files generated. Even the server load goes up due to this heavy IO activity. Because of the replication, all these WALs are shipped to standby server and there is also heavy IO load on the standby server. We run read only queries on standby server so it is having user impact there as well.

This is probably catch 22 but I am wondering if there is any way we can decrease this WAL activity during vacuum?

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments.

Murthy