Re: Suggestion, add committfest managers to the contributors page

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion, add committfest managers to the contributors page
Date: 2022-03-27 20:51:31
Lists: pgsql-www

> On 27 Mar 2022, at 01:37, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>
> On 3/26/22 7:41 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> On 27 Mar 2022, at 00:35, David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> $subject basically. They volunteer to take on a management role that doesn't tend to be popular and the added recognition seems warranted. I would suggest listing them only until we publish the release they were a manager for and then we memorialize their role in the major version as part of its history and start the listing anew. That limits the size to around 6.
>> While I'm not on the contributor committee, I do think this idea has merits.
>> Personally I would expand scope to also list the RMT for similar reasons.
>
> I think there are a few things here.
>
> For specifically being listed on the contributors page, that would be a discussion for the contributor committee, as Daniel says (contributors(at)postgresql(dot)org).

Absolutely agree.

> For the release notes, that's likely a discussion on -hackers/-docs in terms of how we would want to denote that. I know that Peter spends a fair bit of time compiling the list of all contributors to a major release for the release notes, though we haven't broken out folks on their roles in that (outside of who authored a feature).

I think it's worth thinking about the roles which for a timeboxed period
requires an investment in time frequently matching that of an FTE (like CFM and
RMT). Thats admittedly a very arbitrary measurement, but I think in general
the discussion could be worth having, if only to settle on what we have today
being the preferred option.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/