Re: Upgrading from 7.2.3 to....??

From: Eric Soroos <eric-psql(at)soroos(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading from 7.2.3 to....??
Date: 2003-12-03 22:19:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Dec 3, 2003, at 1:05 PM, Vivek Khera wrote:

> CM> What would be your advice? Is 7.3.4 the recommended one
> CM> if we need reliability? Or has 7.4 earned sufficient
> CM> trust by now?
>
> CM> Also, how about back compatibility? Should I expect some
> CM> trouble? I remember with one of the previous upgrades
>
> I just did that switch from 7.2 over to 7.4 this past weekend. It
> went very smoothly. The major things to watch for that I found in the
> history/release notes which were not very obvious were:

The one thing that I've run across in that upgrade path is with
triggers. If you use:

Create or replace function trigger_foo()
returns opaque

It's going to change the function to return a trigger.
If you subsequently use the create or replace syntax and don't change
the return type to trigger (because you haven't updated your code), the
back end will refuse to replace the function complaining of a mismatch
in return types.

eric