Workers in Postgres

From: Teja Jakkidi <teja(dot)jakkidi05(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Workers in Postgres
Date: 2022-07-26 00:20:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Admin team,

I am new to Postgres and please excuse me if these are silly questions:

1. What is a worker process exactly in Postgres?
2. is max_parallel_workers specific to a session or instance. My max_parallel_workers is set to 8. If it is specific to instance, does it mean at any point of time I can only see 8 parallel processes despite the number of transactions in the db?
3. Does number of worker process have anything to do with active connections to the database.

I have read the documentation but unable to catch up correctly. Any help from you is appreciated.

Thanks,
J. Teja.