Re: Optimisation, index use question [long]

From: Francois Suter <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Optimisation, index use question [long]
Date: 2003-07-14 07:47:43
Lists: pgsql-general

> Standard issue. When you specify an unquoted number in a query it's
> interpreted as an int4 which doesn't match your indexes. Suggestions are:
>
> - Put quotes around your numbers or eg. '1'
> - Cast them to the right type eg. 1::bigint

Huh, yeah, I remember now reading about this. Thanks a lot.

Still any idea about why isn't it faster to query on the primary key than on
the two foreign keys?

Cheers

--------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
"We waste our time spending money we don't have to buy things we don't need
to impress people we don't like"