Re: Question regarding keyword checkboxes in database

From: Lynna Landstreet <lynna(at)gallery44(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question regarding keyword checkboxes in database
Date: 2003-06-12 20:06:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

on 6/12/03 3:50 AM, Dani Oderbolz at oderbolz(at)ecologic(dot)de wrote:

> I mean, its up to you, but if you want to do real programming, choose
> the second solution :-)

Yes, you're probably quite right. So, I just executed the script I wrote to
create all the tables, and I went with option 2, with one slight
modification - I split the keywords into two tables, one for format-oriented
keyword sets (medium, techniques, etc.) and one for content-oriented ones
(subject, theme, etc.). I think that may make coding the front end somewhat
easier, since they need to be separated that way when they're presented in
search results and what not.

WRT "if you want to do real programming" - that made me smile, because the
fundamental problem behind this and nearly all my questions on this list and
pgsql-general is that I'm *not* a real programmer! I'm a designer who has
had to expand into more technical areas because the current state of the web
industry makes it a necessity - work is scarce enough that you have to be
able to do just about anything if you want to keep the rent paid. And while
I did do well in computer science in high school (way back in the stone age)
and seem to be picking things up reasonably well, there are probably some
basic principles I'm not as familiar with as I should be.

> BTW: Maybe you have a look in one of these very nice books about
> programming:
> "Code Complete"
> (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556154844/qid=1055404159/sr=8-
> 2/ref=sr_8_2/002-7605764-8176851?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
> "The Pragmatic Programmer"
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020161622X/qid=1055404193/sr=1-2
> /ref=sr_1_2/002-7605764-8176851?v=glance&s=books

Many thanks - those look like exactly the sort of thing I need. Once I
finish Stones & Matthew's "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL", anyway.
Though the fact the first one is published by Microsoft Press kind of scares
me... :-)

Lynna
--
Resource Centre Database Coordinator