Re: Random not so random

From: "Arnau Rebassa" <arebassa(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Random not so random
Date: 2004-10-04 07:34:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Greg,

>What OS is this? Postgres is just using your OS's random()/srandom() calls.
>On
>some platforms these may be poorly implemented and not very random.

I'm using a debian linux as OS with a 2.4 kernel running on it.

>Incidentally, are you reconnecting every time or is it that multiple calls
>in
>a single session are returning the same record?

I'm reconnecting each time I want to retrieve a message. The idea is I
have a lilbrary of messages and I want to pick one of it randomly. I don't
know if there is the possibility to seed the random number generator
manually, anybody knows it?

Thanks to all

--
Arnau

¿Cuánto vale tu auto? Tips para mantener tu carro. ¡De todo en MSN Latino
Autos! http://latino.msn.com/autos/