timezone Q for postgresql v814

From: "Mr(dot) Dan" <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: timezone Q for postgresql v814
Date: 2006-09-07 14:00:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

We have SLES set up to use UTC-4 right now, EDT. When we do a restore, we
have to set the time 1 hour earlier than we really want the restore time to
be. This is because we have a theory that something isn't defined quite
right. We think postgres is using UTC-5 for some reason. We don't have
timezone defined in the conf file, but we thought it would use the default,
UTC-4. Has anyone experienced this or know if the solution is to set
timezone to America/New_York as the timezone variable in the conf file to
get them both using UTC-4, EDT? Is this a problem we'll experience in the
summer since we're using the daylight savings time specification?

Thanks,
~DjK