Re: a strange order by behavior

From: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Eyal Wilde <eyal(at)impactsoft(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a strange order by behavior
Date: 2011-06-22 10:39:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hello Peter
>

> > Pavel suggested using a collation of ucs_basic, but I get an error when I
> > try that on linux:
> > $ createdb -U u1 --lc-collate=ucs_basic -E UTF-8 test
> > createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: invalid locale name ucs_basic
>
> isn't this a bug in collations?

The more I read about this, the more this would appear to be the case. It
looks like the SQL standard has some baseline collations that are required
and it isn't at all clear how one would access those in postgres if the host
in question doesn't have those locale's defined on the host. UCS_BASIC is a
SQL collation, but doesn't appear to have an explicit definition on a
'standard' linux host (CentOS 5, in my case). There is another SQL
collation called 'UNICODE' which is supposed to obey the Unicode Collation
Algorithm with the Default Unicode Collation Element Table defined in
Unicode10. It looks like that collation is relatively sensitive to
language-specific sort orders, though it isn't a required collation in the
sql standard. I suspect that it is the UNICODE collation which actually
would appear to be the most 'sensible' within the context of this discussion
- characters in expected order, spaces honoured, case sensitive. I have so
little experience with localization that I'm not sure if I'm reading this
all correctly, though.