Re: { SELECT *->NOT(column1, column2) FROM table } syntax idea

From: Derrick Rice <derrick(dot)rice(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: { SELECT *->NOT(column1, column2) FROM table } syntax idea
Date: 2011-06-15 22:56:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:08 PM, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> The main reason to avoid doing so is to allow for a view to output all
> the columns of the underlying tables. If I drop/create the view after
> altering the underlying tables the new view will have the additional columns
> without any direct change to the view being required.
>

> David J.

Even with CREATE VIEW foo AS SELECT * FROM bar you do not get this
behavior. Try that, then use \dv foo and you'll see that it has expanded
the set of columns at CREATE VIEW time. It will not get any new columns you
add to the underlying table.

(tested on 8.4)

So this is a deeper issue than just being able to exclude certain tables.

Derrick