Attaching/detaching tablespaces (or, in general, parts of a DB)

From: Yang Zhang <yanghatespam(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Attaching/detaching tablespaces (or, in general, parts of a DB)
Date: 2011-04-07 02:05:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Is it possible to attach or detach parts of a DB (e.g. tablespaces),
such that I can flexibly move the disks containing the DB tables
around to different hosts?

The last discussion I could find on this topic is from 2007, and the
answer was "No":

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Possible-to-Attach-Detach-Tablespaces-td1885602.html

Wondering if there's been any change to the answer since then. I can
alternatively dump/load, which is slower and requires 2x the disk
space. Thanks in advance.