Re: REINDEX takes half a day (and still not complete!)

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: REINDEX takes half a day (and still not complete!)
Date: 2011-04-18 06:39:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> # REINDEX INDEX new_idx_userid;
>        This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>        before or while processing the request.
>

> What else could be wrong?

That's hardly enough information to guess, but since we're trying to
guess, maybe your maintainance_mem went overboard and your server ran
out of RAM. Or disk space.

Aside from a bug, that's the only reason I can think for a pg backend
to bail out like that. Well, the connection could have been cut off by
other means (ie: someone tripped on the cable or something), but lets
not dwell on those options.