update with recursive query

From: Steven Dahlin <pgdb(dot)sldahlin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: update with recursive query
Date: 2011-04-14 21:33:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

Is it possible to execute an update using recursion? I need to update a set
of records and also update their children with the same value. I tried the
following query but it gave an error at the "update schema.table tbl":

with recursive childTbl( pid,
ppid,
proc_id,
other_id )
as ( select prc.pid,
prc.ppid,
prc.proc_id,
prc.other_id
from my_schema.prc_tbl prc
where ( ( prc.proc_path like '%stuff%' )
or ( prc.proc_parameters like '%stuff%' ) )
and ( prc.other_id is null )
union all
select prcsub.pid,
prcsub.ppid,
prcsub.proc_id,
prcsub.other_id
from childTbl prcpar,
my_schema.prc_tbl prcsub
where ( prcsub.ppid = prcpar.pid )
)
update my_schema.prc_tbl prc
set other_id = 101
from childTbl

However, if I do a "select * from childTbl" it works. The docs take about
updates and talk about recursive queries with selects but nothing seems to
cover the joining of the two.

Thanks