Re: Trouble installing psycopg2 on Mac OSX 10.6

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bill Carithers <wccarithers(at)lbl(dot)gov>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble installing psycopg2 on Mac OSX 10.6
Date: 2011-05-16 20:09:45
Lists: psycopg

Hello Bill,

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Bill Carithers <wccarithers(at)lbl(dot)gov> wrote:

> The psycopg2 install failed because it couldn’t find the
> pg_config file. Yet when I go and look where I pointed in the setup.cfg
> file, there it is. So, I’m totally confused now.

This is curious. The procedure to find the pg_config in the setup.py
is honestly messy, but it shouldn't fail so badly.

Could you please check with some print or some breakpoint:

a) if you specify a pg_config in the setup.cfg or in the command line,
you should find it as "self.pg_config" in finalize_options() (line 248
of setup.py). If nothing is specified, self.pg_config should be None
and should be obtained by autodetect_pg_config_path().

b) the try case in get_pg_config (line 88) is probably too broad. Can
you try to remove it and see if Popen fails with an exception which is
incorrectly interpreted as pg_config not found?

Thank you very much.

-- Daniele