Re: Postgres refusing to use >1 core

From: Aren Cambre <aren(at)arencambre(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres refusing to use >1 core
Date: 2011-05-10 02:15:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Your OS won't *see* eight processors if you turn of HT. :-)
>
> I'm going to pursue this digression just a little further, because
> it probably will be biting you sooner or later. We make sure to
> configure the BIOS on our database servers to turn off
> hyperthreading. It really can make a big difference in performance.

OK, OK, I need to admit that this is a Core i7 720QM on an HP Envy 14
laptop. :-) There is no BIOS option to disable HT.

I am a doctoral student (but married with kids, about 5-10 years over
traditional doctorate student age) and am trying to speed up some of my data
analysis with parallelism. Right now the current operation,if run in series,
takes 30 hours and only stresses one of the 8 (fake) cores. I'd rather see
something that maximizes CPU use, provided that it doesn't overwhelm I/O.

Aren