Re: a strange order by behavior

From: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Eyal Wilde <eyal(at)impactsoft(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a strange order by behavior
Date: 2011-06-22 09:39:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

Interesting. The original thread to which I was referring has a subject of
"Sorting Issue" and the original request showed a list of vehicle model
names which were sorting as though there were no spaces. The user had
collation set to en_US.UTF-8. However, my database (on OS X) sorts both his
example and the example that started this thread correctly, despite my
lc_collate being set to the same value.

Then I just ran the exact same test on a Centos 5 linux host (postgresql 8.4
as well) and I am seeing the 'erroneous' sort order that prompted both this
thread and the other. So you can't even assume the same behaviour for the
same collation on different platforms.

On OS X:

# \l
Name | Owner | Encoding | Collation | Ctype |
Access privileges
-------------------+------------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
col_test | u1 | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

# show lc_collate;
lc_collate
-------------
en_US.UTF-8

# select * from t1 order by f1;
id | f1
----+-------------------
1 | CX Hatchback
2 | CX Minivan
2 | CX Plus Minivan
2 | CX Sedan
2 | CX Sport Utility
2 | CXL Minivan
2 | CXL Premium Sedan
2 | CXL Sedan
2 | CXL Sport Utility
2 | CXL Turbo Sedan
2 | CXS Sedan

On CentOS 5:

# \l
Name | Owner | Encoding | Collation | Ctype |
Access privileges
-------------------+------------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
col_test | u1 | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

# show lc_collate
ecorithm-# ;
lc_collate
-------------
en_US.UTF-8

# select * from t1 order by f1;
id | f1
----+-------------------
1 | CX Hatchback
2 | CXL Minivan
2 | CXL Premium Sedan
2 | CXL Sedan
2 | CXL Sport Utility
2 | CXL Turbo Sedan
2 | CX Minivan
2 | CX Plus Minivan
2 | CX Sedan
2 | CX Sport Utility
2 | CXS Sedan

Further testing would seem to reveal that OS X is using something resembling
C collation order, despite the fact that it says en_US.UTF-8. I say this
because it is also case sensitive. CentOS, on the other hand, is ignoring
spaces, but is also case-insensitive.

# select * from t1 order by f1 asc;
id | f1
----+-------------------
1 | CX Hatchback
2 | CXL Minivan
2 | CXL Premium Sedan
2 | CXL Sedan
2 | CXL Sport Utility
2 | CXL Turbo Sedan
2 | CX Minivan
2 | CX Plus Minivan
2 | cx Sedan
2 | CX Sedan
2 | CX Sport Utility
2 | CXS Sedan

Pavel suggested using a collation of ucs_basic, but I get an error when I
try that on linux:

$ createdb -U u1 --lc-collate=ucs_basic -E UTF-8 test
createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: invalid locale name ucs_basic

I was able to create the db with --lc_collate=C and get case-sensitive
sorting that treats spaces 'correctly,' but I have no idea how reliable that
is with multibyte characters and it almost certainly doesn't handle accented
characters correctly in languages that have a mix of ascii and non-ascii
characters, since the non-ascii chars will all sort as greater than the
ascii chars, which is probably not how things are alphabetized in those
languages.

I happen to have my computer set so I can type cyrillic and it appears to
work correctly with non-ascii chars when the entire charset is non-ascii,
but it'd be a lot of effort to construct a test that utilizes a mix of
1,2,3, and 4 byte characters, since I'm not familiar with enough alphabets.

test=# select * from t1 order by f1;
id | f1
----+-------------------
1 | CX Hatchback