Re: Postgres Migration from Postgres 9.0 on Windows to Postgres 10.0 on Linux

From: "Ahmed, Nawaz" <Nawaz(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Peter Neave <Peter(dot)Neave(at)jims(dot)net>, Andreas Kretschmer <andreas(at)a-kretschmer(dot)de>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Migration from Postgres 9.0 on Windows to Postgres 10.0 on Linux
Date: 2018-06-08 22:07:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

<head>
<!-- converted from text --><style><!-- .EmailQuote { margin-left: 1pt; padding-left: 4pt; border-left: #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
</head>
two nodes and there is no dependency on the architecture of the host.&nbsp;</div>
<hr>
&gt;Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I’ve been tasked with migrating our production database from Postgres<br>
&gt;9.0 on Windows to Postgres 10.0 on Linux. I’ve used pg_dump and<br>
&gt;pg_restore and it works fine but the time taken for my dry run of the<br>
&gt;migration is about 12 hours (8 hours backup and 4 hours restore)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;What can I do to reduce the migration time so that I can get production<br>
&gt;up and running again as soon as possible? I have the option to upgrade<br>
&gt;either machine if that helps and in that case what would help most<br>
&gt;faster disk IOPS? RAM? CPU?<br>
&gt;<br>
You can use the pg_dump from the linux-box to take the dump using directory-format and multiple processes, and also multiple processes for the restore.<br>
You can also try to use a trigger-based replication (londiste, slony) to build a replication from 9.0 to 10, but i'm not sure if those tools are available under windows.<br>
Regards, Andreas<br>
-- <br>
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company<br>
<h3>Disclaimer</h3>
that dissemination, copying or use of the information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please telephone Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd on &#43; 61 2 9452 9000 or by reply e-mail to the sender and delete the document
and all copies thereof.</p>
Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd does not accept liability for any loss or damage (whether direct, indirect, consequential or economic) however caused, and whether by negligence or otherwise, which may result directly or indirectly from this communication
or any files attached.</p>

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 4.3 KB