Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

From: Steve Lane <slane(at)fmpro(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-07-15 01:54:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/13/02 5:11 AM, "Curt Sampson" <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Elaine Lindelef wrote:
>
>> Yes, there are points to quibble on, but overall, I thought it was a
>> decent article that exposed people to the idea of using PostgreSQL.
>
> Well, yeah, but it's really time to kill, properly, this idea that
> postgres is always slower than mysql. I'm reasonably convinced that
> under fairly heavy OLTP loads with some large queries going, MySQL would
> grind to a halt at loads much less than postgres can handle.
>
> The only area I know of where MySQL is noticably faster is when
> dealing with large amounts of data in tables with very short rows;
> MySQL has much less row overhead, so of course it's faster. Though
> people are working on reducing postgres' row overhead as well,
> which will help....

Are there any current benchmarks showing postgres' performance against other
major dbs? I've only seen one, and I think it's a couple of years old. Eweek
profiled major commercial dbs and had mySQL as the open source
representative. Not even a whisper about PgSQL. I'd love to see some current
numbers, just to fend off with a stick the people who keep asking me why I
don't use mySQL.

-- sgl

Steve Lane

Vice President
Chris Moyer Consulting, Inc.
833 West Chicago Ave Suite 203

Voice: (312) 433-2421 Email: slane(at)fmpro(dot)com
Fax: (312) 850-3930 Web: http://www.fmpro.com