Postgres 7.2.1 Really Spinning the CPU

From: Hunter Hillegas <lists(at)lastonepicked(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres 7.2.1 Really Spinning the CPU
Date: 2002-06-05 02:27:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Just got my new server up and running with PostgreSQL 7.2.1... I am running
Jive Forums against it.

I used pg_dump to extract the data from the old server, and used 'psql
database < file.sql' to get the data into the new database.

Now I have it up and running and PostgreSQL is using up to 40% of the CPU...
My site is not heavily trafficked, so this seems out of place.

Is it possible that Jive's indexes were not re-created properly? The old
server was also 7.2.1.

I have bumped up shared memory:

[root(at)vader init.d]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
128000000

and in my postgresql.conf I have increased my shared buffers to 3000.

Any ideas how to figure out what is going on?

Thanks,
Hunter