Re: replace NULL

From: Torbj=?ISO-8859-1?B?9g==?=rn Andersson <tobbe(at)embryo(dot)se>
To: "Kancha (dot)" <kancha2np(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: replace NULL
Date: 2002-04-10 11:42:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

>> if age is NULL then I want to replace it by some text,
>> say "SHY" so the output is like
>>
>> name age
>> me 10
>> jane SHY
>> jack 32

If you want to change the presentation but not the actual data you can use:

SELECT name, CASE
WHEN age IS NULL
THEN 'SHY'
ELSE age
END AS age
FROM people

I think there is a function called coalesce (sp?) that does roughly the same
as the CASE-clause above.

Best Regards

Torbjörn "Toby" Andersson
Embryo Communication phone: +46 (0) 31-774 39 11(00)
Kungsgatan 7a fax: +46 (0)31 774 07 80
S-411 19 Gothenburg mobile: 0708-30 70 04
Sweden home: http://www.embryo.se/
mail: torbjorn(dot)andersson(at)embryo(dot)se
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects"