Tcl_CreateSlave error (pg 7.1.2, RH 7.2)

From: Janine Sisk <janine(at)furfly(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Carl Coryell-Martin <carl(at)greenmediatoolshed(dot)org>
Subject: Tcl_CreateSlave error (pg 7.1.2, RH 7.2)
Date: 2002-04-08 14:38:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

Yesterday I installed Postgres 7.1.2 on Redhat 7.2. The install appeared to
go well, but createlang doesn't work:

[joeweb(at)rex joeweb]$ createlang pltcl joewebtest
ERROR: Load of file /usr/local/pgsql-7.1.2/lib/pltcl.so failed:
/usr/local/pgsql-7.1.2/lib/pltcl.so: undefined symbol: Tcl_CreateSlave
createlang: language installation failed

I searched google and the newsgroup archives (the search for the archives
for this mailing list seems to be down, so I couldn't search here) and found
several people reporting the problem, and one long-ish thread discussing it,
but no solutions.

Everyone who reported the problem seems to have installed 7.1.3 from an RPM.
I installed 7.1.2 from source, so it can't be the RPM's fault. The one
person who reported getting this to work said he built 7.1.3 from source and
copied over pltcl.so and it worked; since I have already built from source
I can't even try that.

I had previously installed PG 7.2 in another directory and running on
another port; that worked fine. I have also installed 7.1.2 on systems
running a heavily upgraded version of RH 6.2, and that worked fine. So it's
something about PG 7.1.x plus RH 7.2. Unfortunately I have a client
requirement for this version of Postgres so I'm stuck trying to make this
work.

Ideas, anyone?

thanks,

janine