Re: --sync-method isn't documented to take an argument

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: --sync-method isn't documented to take an argument
Date: 2023-10-04 15:16:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 4 Oct 2023, at 17:07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> OK, so now I know what the possible values of "class" are, but
> I'm still not seeing a reason why we shouldn't just assume that
> "parameter" is the only one of interest.

I think "parameter" is the only one of interest for this usecase (params to
application options), but it might not necessarily be applicable to other uses
of <replaceable /> we have in the tree, like for example in bki.sgml:

<replaceable>oprname(lefttype,righttype)</replaceable>

But since we don't know if anyone is rendering our docs with a custom style, or
ever will, this is all very theoretical. Maybe skipping the class attribute is
the right choice for consistency?

--
Daniel Gustafsson