Re: Replication options

From: "Merrall, Graeme" <gmerrall(at)team(dot)aol7(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication options
Date: 2004-02-20 04:40:34
Lists: pgsql-general

The only negative issue is replication. I have checked several
Postgres Replication options and unsure which way to go. Can anyone
recommend a replication option that meets the following:

* Does not use triggers. Usually slow, and one action that
modifies several records, can trigger many actions on slaves/peers.
* Does use WAL, or other log, so that SQL DDL/DML is
copied to slave/peer, rather than the result of the DDL/DML.
* Must provide master-master and master-slave replication
* Simple to configure and maintain

Is there any comparative analysis of the different pgsql
replication systems out there? SO far I can think of erserver (free +
payware), mammoth, dbbalancer, pgreplication. Have I missed any?

If such a thing doesn't exist I could cobble few servers
together and have a crack.

Cheers,

Graeme