postgresql.conf

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgresql.conf
Date: 2015-11-19 14:11:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Postgresql 9.4.x

What is the proper way to set configuration values?

Within postresql there is a file postgresql.conf. Traditionally I go into this file directly and make configuration changes. That of course is the wrong way to do it. A person could easily have a typo and not know it. When I upgrade to 9.5 I want to make sure I am doing this the proper way.

Ideally I know you should not change postgresql.conf directly. One way of making configuration changes is using the SET command. I have no issue with that. But what is the proper way to change configuration setting that cannot be made with SET?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell