Re: Postgres crash? could not write to log file: No spaceleft on device

From: "Yuri Levinsky" <yuril(at)celltick(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres crash? could not write to log file: No spaceleft on device
Date: 2013-06-25 14:10:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom,
There are no any space quota on user postgres. It always happens on
different log files. When I am creating huge dummy file in same FS -
nothing wrong.

P.S. I am getting same error when I am using pg_dump in tar format. I
don't know if there is some relation between 2 issues. The reason of the
pg_dump space failure is: when using tar format, pg_dump write temporary
data into /var, which might be smaller than biggest table requires. The
fix is simple in this case: to use custom format or increase /var. I
actually don't know what PostgreSQL has to do in /var and if it is same
problem? By the way it's impossible to understand where not enough space
from pg_dump output as well as in my original issue.

Sincerely yours,

Yuri Levinsky, DBA
Celltick Technologies Ltd., 32 Maskit St., Herzliya 46733, Israel