Re: copy/dump database to text/csv files

From: Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
To: William Nolf <bnolf(at)xceleratesolutions(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: copy/dump database to text/csv files
Date: 2014-07-25 19:53:13
Lists: pgsql-general

This is probably an easy one for most sql users but I don't use it very often.

>We have a postgres database that was used for an application we no longer use. However, we would
>
>like to copy/dump the tables to files, text or csv so we can post them to sharepoint.
>

>Copy seems to be what I want. But it only does one table at a time. There is 204 tables with a schemaname=public. I need to be copy the tables with data to files. I need something like a for
>
>loop which checks if the table is populated if so, copy it to tablename.csv file
>

>Any ideas?

You could do it with pgpsql, or if your schema is too large generate a sript with it.

something like:

DO $$
DECLARE
test boolean;
rec record;
BEGIN
for rec in select tablename from pg_tables where schemaname = 'public'
LOOP
EXECUTE 'select exists (select * from public.'||rec.tablename||')' into test;
IF test THEN raise notice 'COPY public.% TO %.dump',rec.tablename,rec.tablename;
END IF;
END LOOP;
END;
$$ language plpgsql