Building multiple indexes on one table.

From: Chris Ruprecht <chris(at)cdrbill(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Building multiple indexes on one table.
Date: 2014-07-17 22:47:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Is there any way that I can build multiple indexes on one table without having to scan the table multiple times? For small tables, that's probably not an issue, but if I have a 500 GB table that I need to create 6 indexes on, I don't want to read that table 6 times.
Nothing I could find in the manual other than reindex, but that's not helping, since it only rebuilds indexes that are already there and I don't know if that reads the table once or multiple times. If I could create indexes inactive and then run reindex, which then reads the table once, I would have a solution. But that doesn't seem to exist either.

best regards,
chris
--
chris ruprecht
database grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre