Re: Ooops ... seems we need a re-release pronto

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ooops ... seems we need a re-release pronto
Date: 2007-02-06 19:05:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 6, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to> writes:
>> Is a test going to get added to the regression tests to catch similar
>> regressions in the future?
>
> I've been thinking about that. It seems that the regression tests
> have
> fairly poor coverage of use of typmod-bearing data types in general;
> most of our tests of complicated queries tend to use "simple"
> datatypes
> like int or text. I don't have any immediate thoughts what to do
> about
> that --- massive expansion of the tests doesn't seem justified --- but
> this isn't the first bug we've hit in this area. It's just a bit more
> embarrassing than most :-(

What about the idea that's been floated in the past about a --
extensive mode for regression testing that would (generally) only be
used by the build farm. That would mean others wouldn't have to
suffer through extremely long make check's.

Or is there another reason not to expand the tests?
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net