Re: Query execution failure

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Pete Storer <Pete(dot)Storer(at)sas(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query execution failure
Date: 2023-01-30 18:20:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Jan 30, 2023, at 10:17, Pete Storer <Pete(dot)Storer(at)sas(dot)com> wrote:
>
> This is very interesting, guys. And it leads me to a question: Is there any way to FORCE Postgres to do a local sort/collation of any data that is accessed through a FDW?

It depends on the FDW. One thing to try is to have the SORT be an expression, especially one that depends on functions that can't otherwise be pushed down. (You may have to do some experimenting to find one that returns identity, i.e. the same sort order as just the bare column, but isn't pushed down.)