Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date: 2006-06-13 16:53:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jun 13, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Would that be adequate, or do we really want to reimplement and
>> maintain all
>> the output format complexity in our own code, in C?
>
> I think the point is that we should provide a native implementation
> because not everyone is crazy enough to use perl (blatant jab ;)).
> I would never expect a customer to write a perl or python script
> just to get their data in what is widely considered a standard
> business format that can be imported by their userland application.

That wasn't what I was discussing, on two levels. Firstly, I wasn't
suggesting that the end user write anything, secondly I was talking
about the other output formats discussed (Excel, HTML...) rather than
just CSV.

> The people on the hackers list, are NOT the target for this
> feature. The people on general, admin and novice are.

I was referring to the other export formats mentioned (Excel,
HTML...). We already support CSV export of single tables with the
bundled software, don't we?

Cheers,
Steve