Re: Extension Packaging

From: David E(dot) Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Packaging
Date: 2011-04-21 04:00:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Apr 20, 2011, at 8:25 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Okay. What about building something into PGXS that could handle these kinds of things? I just can't help but wonder if there isn't some better way to do the kinds of things that Daniele and I have resorted to to use a PostgreSQL version in a conditional in the Makefile. I know *this* much about make, and so am pretty sure that there must be a better way to do it than the way I am.

Okay, thanks to the feedback from Daniele, and based on your advice, Tom, to maintain explicit migration scripts (at least for now, might use Daniele's script later), I've got the Makefile down to just 25 lines, and other than setting the name of the extension on the first line, it should just work for any other extension I care to distribute using the same file layout.

https://github.com/theory/pg-semver/blob/master/Makefile

Thanks again for the feedback. Will be polishing this stuff for my PGCon talk on packaging extensions for PGXN.

Best,

David