Configure autovacuum

From: "Shenavai, Manuel" <manuel(dot)shenavai(at)sap(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Configure autovacuum
Date: 2024-06-14 06:20:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I would like to configure the autovacuum in a way that it runs very frequently (i.e. after each update-statement). I tried the following settings on my table:
alter table mytable set (autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.0);
alter table mytable set (autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 0.0);
alter table mytable set (autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = 10000);
alter table mytable set (autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 1);

I do a lot of updates on a single tuple and I would expect that the autovacuum would start basically after each update (due to autovacuum_vacuum_threshold=1). But the autovacuum is not running.

Is it possible to configure postgres to autovacuum very aggressively (i.e. after each update-statement)?

Thanks in advance &
Best regards,
Manuel