psql comment display

From: David Raymond <David(dot)Raymond(at)tomtom(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql comment display
Date: 2020-07-22 17:28:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

Just a possible suggestion for psql's \d+ display.

I've noticed when you use \d+ without a table name it includes a description field showing the comments on all the tables/views/etc in the list. And when you specify a specific table you want to look at with \d+ <table_name> you can see the comments on each individual field. But there's no display of the overall table comment when you specify a single table. I'd suggest adding that in there, either up above with the table name, or down below with the indexes/constraints/etc.

Either way it would be nice to have it there in the \d+ output, rather than having to separately do a separate full table list, or remembering the name and arguments for the obj_description() function. (Or forgetting it's not shown and assuming there is no comment)

Again, just a low priority random thought that popped into my head.