Re: how to covert a column?

From: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Dimitrius Weddington *EXTERN*" <dimitrius(dot)r(dot)weddington(at)marvell(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to covert a column?
Date: 2007-07-04 12:43:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Dimitrius Weddington wrote:
> I have a dataset (90GBs worth) that contains 3 columns of
> unix timestamps in seconds. Ideally, I want to use copy to
> load the data into the DB (the disk i/o of trying to process
> this volume of data vi perl takes a couple of days). I was
> hoping to convert the unix timestamps inside the DB to pg
> timestamp creating a view or create table as... however no
> success so far. The "to_timestamp()" function works fine to
> convert the data but for some reason I can't get it to work
> in creating a view with the fields that are timestamps instead of INT.

The following works well on my PostgreSQL 8.2.4 which is configured
with --enable-integer-datetimes:

SHOW TIME ZONE;
TimeZone
---------------
Europe/Vienna
(1 row)

CREATE TABLE t (id integer NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, ts integer);
CREATE VIEW v (id, ts) AS (SELECT t.id, to_timestamp(t.ts) FROM t);
INSERT INTO t (id, ts) VALUES (1, 0), (2, 3600);

SELECT * FROM v;
id | ts
1 | 1970-01-01 01:00:00+01
2 | 1970-01-01 02:00:00+01
(2 rows)

So your problem must be something else.

Maybe you can describe your problem in greater detail?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe