How to add columns to view with dependencies

From: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to add columns to view with dependencies
Date: 2017-04-17 03:02:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Seems like a simple question, but I’ve never found a good answer to this and similar issues.

I would think it was safe to let me add columns to a view on which other views depend, but Postgres won’t let me.

I can imagine ways of sort-of dealing with this. I might maintain a SQL file with views to create in a suitable order, Then I could drop all views, edit the definition of one, then run the file, but this is awfully tedious.

What is best practice in this situation?