Re: nntp not working

From: Arturo Pérez <arturo(at)ethicist(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: nntp not working
Date: 2010-08-22 16:10:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 22, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Arturo_P=E9rez?= <arturo(at)ethicist(dot)net> writes:
>> I've switched my NNTP to use the GMane system. Is that the only official NNTP interface now?
>
> I've not paid attention to netnews in a very long time, but the last I
> heard, the postgresql newsgroups had never passed an official group
> creation vote. If that's still true, it would be unsurprising if
> specific news sites didn't carry them.
>
> regards, tom lane

Oh, no that's not it. Someone with access to postgresql.org was running an
Mail-to-NNTP gateway so that the mailing lists could also be viewed through
an NNTP client. My Usenet connection was directly to news.us.postgresql.org.

But I can understand the cost/benefit may not be there and I use GMane for a
bunch of other groups so I'm happy with that as a solution.

Thanks to whoever had been doing the gateway thing all these years!
-arturo