Re: Future steps and invigoration of SeaPUG

From: "Albin, Lloyd P" <lalbin(at)scharp(dot)org>
To: "seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Future steps and invigoration of SeaPUG
Date: 2013-02-05 05:20:01
Lists: seapug

Here is some of the conservation that Robert and I have been having. We took some of this offline since we did have at least one person unsubscribe from this mailing list because of how much we were talking about this type of stuff.

> I just think that it will take more time in promotions, etc, to make it grow to the next level.

Yes, I agree. And for that reason I think when we get together this week we should talk about parachuting into other meeting;. can we take the time to research the usergroups that we'd like to visit?

> While I agree with some of Josh's idea, the problem with some of the other ones is that we don't have enough people who want to active participle, they just want to be passive participants. A good example of this is that you and I for the most part were the ones responding to Josh's and I's emails. In fact we had at least one person request to be removed from the mailing list because we just send out to many emails over it.

Agreed, once again it points out to the need to nurter the usergroup

> With having so little active participants, I am not sure how much a wiki version would help. I think you and I, might be the only users. Maybe Basil, but then he has his own one.

Even if it's just a small number of people contributing to the wiki, the format makes it easier to jot stuff down as events develop. What do you think of a facebook page?

> I do try and follow a basic agenda of upcoming events, items about our group, presentation, any other Postgres questions, final items about our group. I don't always have things to say in each section every month. While they could be a set amount of time for each one, if we don't have anything to say, then that won't always help. But we could try it, maybe I am viewing it from a too narrowly focused perspective.

I'm thinking in a more format sense where we actually post the agenda on our mail list.

> Josh also mentioned in our phone conservation about some wiki pages dealing with pugs.
>
> PostgreSQL Booths - Conference/Event
> Booth Preparation Checklist - http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/BoothCheckList
> Organizing Booth Volunteers - http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/BoothVols
> How To Booth for both Booth Bunnies and Organizers - http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HowToBooth
> Booth Related Documents List - http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/BoothDocs

I think Josh is on the same page in regards to a number of issues. However, now that I've had to think about it I don't believe we are ready to host a PGDAY. This should only be considered after we've actually started picking up in numbers.

For me, it's two issues: a more active webpresence and actually visit other usergroups in town and evangalize postgres.