OS X Install

From: Nathan Mealey <nathan(at)cycle-smart(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OS X Install
Date: 2004-10-16 00:09:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I am trying to install PostgreSQL on OS X 10.3, using the package from
Entropy.ch. The installation instructions there, as well as anywhere
else I have seen them on the net, say to create a user (using the
System Preferences pane) with a shortname "postgres". The problem is,
this user already exists in my netinfo database/domain, and so I cannot
either create a new user with the same short name, or use this user,
because I do not know the password (I assume it is a system default
user). Thus, I am unable to complete the installation, because I
cannot run the following commands as user postgres.

/usr/local/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l postgres.log start

Has anyone else encountered this before? I'm so confused by this...why
does this user already exist, and why can't I make use of it for this
installation? Should I create a different user?

NM
--
Nathan Mealey
Director of Operations