Re: Use multidimensional array as VALUES clause in insert

From: Igor Andriychuk <2(dot)andriychuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mike Martin <mike(at)redtux(dot)plus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use multidimensional array as VALUES clause in insert
Date: 2020-08-11 14:43:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Martin,

May be I don’t understand completely what are you trying to accomplish but based on your example bellow UNNEST function should do a magic for you, this is the example I wrote for your case:

create table if not exists foo(id int, arr text[]);
truncate table foo;
insert into foo values (1, '{"value1", "value2", "value3"}'), (2, '{"value21", "value22", "value23"}');

create table if not exists foo2(id int, val text);
truncate table foo2;

insert into foo2
select id, unnest(arr) from foo;

Is this what you trying to do?