Re: Transaction with in function

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ravi Katkar <Ravi(dot)Katkar(at)infor(dot)com>
Cc: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction with in function
Date: 2010-05-26 15:36:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Ravi Katkar <Ravi(dot)Katkar(at)infor(dot)com> wrote:
> How can we achieve nested transactions? ( may be using save points )with in functions.
> Is there any work around?

It unfortunately can't be done from within the database. There is
only one workaround -- using dblink or similar technology to connect
back to the database inside your function to bend/break transaction
rules.

In the 9.0 world, this (no implicit transaction state pl code,
possibly termed 'stored procedures') is one of the top two or three
requested features.

merlin